From Construction and Infrastructure to Fit Out, Property Services, Partnership Housing, Urban Regeneration and Investments, we deliver complex projects that create a real difference.
Brief overview of the role
The apprentice laboratory technician will be based in the project’s UKAS accredited materials laboratory which provides a testing facility for the construction team. You will perform a wide range of concrete and earthworks testing to European standards and project specific standards that confirm the acceptability for use within the works.
Total hours per week: 45.00 – Monday – Friday (plus occasional weekends when required)
(the hours are based on the candidate being over 18)
Main purpose of role
- Safe delivery of materials testing for the contract
- Clear and timely provision of test results
- Adhering to clearly defined quality standards
Main responsibilities of the role
- Demonstrate personal commitment to health and safety
- Undertake tests on materials in the laboratory and on site as instructed by the laboratory manager
- Ensure that agreed testing regimes are achieved
- Communicate test findings with the site team as directed by laboratory manager
- Maintain ISO 9001 accreditation of facility through compliance with quality system requirements
- Undertake equipment checks where required
- Undertake calibrations of test equipment when required or as instructed by the laboratory manager
- Maintain the laboratory and other work areas in a safe, clean and tidy condition
Requirements and prospects
- Basic numeric and English skills
- Basic computer skills (e-mail, word, excel etc.)
- Good organisational and time management skills
- An interest in construction, science & laboratory testing
- Physically fit for manual handling of large samples
- Proactive in identifying problems & defects
- Self-driven with a positive outlook
- Ability to work on own and within a team
- Excellent time keeping and flexibility in working occasional 6 day week shifts
- The preferred candidate will have finished their GCSE or other skills qualifications in English and Maths, though consideration will be given to highly-motivated young people willing to achieve a qualification in Functional Skills (English, Maths & ICT) at Levels 1 & 2.
- Full Clean Driving Licence
- At least 18 years of age, for health and safety reasons
The Advanced Level Apprenticeship provides individuals with a sound knowledge base that can support them in undertaking further learning and development of their careers in material testing and related areas. This pathway also offers the participant an opportunity to work in a variety of settings, supporting a wide range of engineering projects. The experience & qualifications gained from this apprenticeship will prove invaluable to the successful candidate.